I have to be honest, this is one of my least favourite parts of building the house. I say 'one of' because there are a few other parts of this project I am really not looking forward to either. You see, I don't like heights. I mean, I really don't like them. Like I have trouble breathing, don't like them. They make my knees weak, my breath come fast and they make my skin crawl. It hasn't always been this way but I don't remember when it changed. About the only thing worse for me than being exposed to heights is watching my children exposed to them. (Or my husband.) Yes, I'll admit it, I'm the mother at the park who is not having fun watching her children climb around on the top of the playground. Why do they have to stand so close to the edge or at the very top of the slide? Again, it hasn't always been like this. 20 or so years ago, I was the fun mom at the park, encouraging my boys to climb and be brave and *gasp* cheering for them when they jumped from their swing, while it was still swinging!! I mean really, who does that? Things are different now. So you can understand why watching them climb around on these forms is not fun for me. I'm not looking forward to framing either. Or worse, roofing. Ugh. I suggested we hire someone to do these parts for us. "Mom", I was reminded, "This is what we do for a living, that would just be embarrassing". So? Maybe you have to be far enough in your 40's to just not care exactly how embarrassing that would be. Perhaps I am being overprotective. Maybe it's a good thing I don't see them at work every day. Maybe I should just stay inside. At any rate, the walls need to be built. So ready or not, here we go.
The footing forms have had the frames removed. The re-bar was placed when the concrete was still wet and they will attach the walls to the footings.
Getting the forms ready to go.
They have been going at it all day. I think it looks a lot like a castle at this stage.
In between the forms, layers of re-bar will hold the concrete in place.
Almost done.
Finishing up one side just as it is getting dark again. The walls still have to be braced and leveled which they will do tomorrow in preparation for another inspection.
Notice anything different about the work site today? Nope, me neither.
Just in case working up high, in adverse weather didn't add enough elements of danger, let's work after dark too.
Sigh. I'm going back inside to pray. Anyone care to join me?
For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
Psalm 91:11
The Lord bless thee, and keep thee: The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
Numbers 6:24-26


Hey you hi
ReplyDeleteUm, hi. :-)
DeleteWow! What amazing progress you are all making. You see, I would have been all like, "yep, we're going to build a house" and then three years later something might have started happening. Nope, you guys are just getting it done! Way to go, it's really looking great! I am enjoying the pictures, although it makes me so envious of your internet speed as it just took my over an hour to load like 6 photos on our blog. But when my friends have something nice, I will rejoice with them :) :) :)
ReplyDeleteThank you! Pretty sure we'd still be talking about it if it was up to me though. I think being married to a builder and that this has been his dream for just about ever, has helped moved things along. ;-)
Delete