This has been the week of digging out. Ideally, we would have liked to have had the foundation backfilled by now, but we were somewhat delayed by the weather (understatement). There is always a possibility that the cement can be damaged the longer it is exposed to the cold so the faster it can be buried, the happier everyone will be. We have tarred the footings and applied dimple membrane, for extra damp proofing. The drain tile inspection is on Monday so hopefully, we can backfill on Tuesday. Thankfully, the weather is co-operating, for now. Nice, mild temperatures and no snow in the forecast for a while. So now we try and catch up. We can always find time to play, though.
Oh my!! The cuteness!!!
You have to run to keep up with these kids.
So much snow, where to start?
A most welcome sight!! Good to see the boys too!! ;-)
Have you ever seen icicles do this? We have a metal snow roof and as the snow slowly comes down the roof, the icicles are left at an awkward angle. If you look closely, you can see they are starting to come down straight again, resulting in an crooked icicle. Even our icicles are unconventional.
There's a lawn tractor under there. Good thing we don't need it for a while.
This fence isn't exactly keeping anything in right now.
Somehow, they look shorter than I remember them.
Ugh, I can't watch.
Installing drain tile.
Buying local whenever we can.
Basement windows
Each day that goes by, we see a little bit of change. Sometimes it's noticeable to others, sometimes, only to us. Sometimes, it's so painstakingly slow, that we are frustrated. Sometimes, we have to take a step back and look at the big picture. This is a huge undertaking. It won't be finished this week. Not this month or next month either (I refuse to write this year but I've also learned to never say never). To take on such a big project and know that it isn't going to be finished anytime soon is daunting. But we work at it, a little bit here and a little bit there. Taking even the tiniest bit of progress as a victory. Day by day, step by step. It's like our walk with the Lord. Set backs and failures are all part of inching forward and we look forward to the day when we will leave here and move to our Heavenly mansion.
One day though, Lord willing, we will be able to move into this house and we will see the big picture. The work will be finished and we will be able to see, not only how all of the frustrating details were necessary but we will also be glad we took the time to do them. Properly. We will enjoy the fruit of the labour. Now is not that time, though. Now is the season to work.
It makes me so very thankful though, that my mansion in Heaven is being prepared for me and I won't have to build it.
In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you unto myself, that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know. Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 14:2-6




I am so glad you are documenting your journey my friend. How MUCH you will know about the entire process at the end of it all. But, you are right...enjoy the journey and don't wish away the days...this is your life and these are precious times. I cannot get over your SNOW!!! We have none. (I suppose that was not what you wanted to know). Love you! XO
ReplyDeleteIt is definitely giving me a new understanding of Phil's job. When he says what stage they are at on a project, it makes more sense now. Yes, the snow!! So much!! Hoping that we can get back to 'normal' winter weather. I am trying to see the positive. It can be pretty dry here in the summer so we are stocking up on water now. So we'll have lots when we have company. 😆
ReplyDeleteLol, that was supposed to be a smiley face.
DeleteI am glad you are making the most of the milder weather when you can. Sometimes the weather enforces time off more than we even knew we needed.
Delete