Ever since this post and this post we've been waiting to put the ridge cap on. We have had a small ongoing debate er, rather discussion, on whether or not we should do the work ourselves or if we should have someone do it for us. Well, I lost that argument ahem, rather, discussion. I was out voted. It was decided that we would do the work ourselves (using those terms very loosely, of course, as some of us were not going any where near there!). If you remember my thoughts and feelings about heights that I wrote about here on Day 2, well, nothing has changed. I still don't like heights and I still didn't want them up there for all the same reasons I stated 7 seven months ago. All to no avail. My pleading fell on deaf ears. A beautiful fall day was to be the back drop for my nightmares for years to come. Sigh.
It really was a beautiful day! If they had to be up there, it was perfect weather for it, I'll give them that.
Getting into position.
Not exactly the most comfortable position either. We had also been waiting for the plumbing to be mostly finished as well so Phil could screw down and seal the plumbing vent. No sense making two trips up there.
Such a lovely view. (such lovely trees!)
Oh yes, they were tied on. I might not have won the battle but I was willing to go to war on this one. Thankfully though, they agreed.
As you can see, there isn't any room to store tools that you aren't using at the moment so they had to devise a way to get the tools to Phil without requiring him to go up and down for them and without scratching the roof. There might be a more high tech way to do it but this way worked just fine too.
Ben watches and waits to help. There really isn't room for two up there.
That doesn't mean he won't go up there though.
And terrorize his mother. (Why Ben? Just why?)
And perhaps dance a little.
"Um, Ben, a little help?"
OK, back to work.
Just when I think that we made it through without any injuries, I look over and see this! My own husband teasing me! I know exactly where those boys get it!!
Even Phil had to agree though, when it comes time to put that last sheet of roofing on, it's better to let the younger, slightly more agile, men take over.
This has been a long time in the waiting. So glad to see that last piece go up.
It's on at last!!.
Now it has to be screwed on all the way down. He's not holding on. I'm not looking!!
Definitely not an easy job!
Matt is giving us his best Spiderman impression.
And now, it's his turn! Very funny, Matt!! Seriously, how many times can I temporarily stop breathing in one day?!
Finally!! The ridge cap is finished and everyone is safe!! Thank you Lord!
Now we just need to figure out how to get that last rope down. Any ideas? I'm fine with leaving it there. Really, I am.
Satisfied with a job well done!
Lydia sweeps up, ready to call it a day. Me too!!
The sun sets on a beautiful day.
I am so thankful that we were able to get this job finished without anyone getting hurt! I'm not going to lie, I didn't think it was safe for them to be climbing around on the ridge like that. Sometimes, we don't always agree on things (*gasp*, I know, it's true). Sometimes, we have conflicting opinions. There has to be a way to come to a mutually agreeable outcome. It's how marriage works. Sometimes I need to examine why I want things to go a certain way. Perhaps it's fear or pride or maybe it's a perfectly legitimate reason. But at the end of the day, someone has to make a decision on how things get done. Thankfully, it doesn't have to change how we feel about each other. Thankfully, we can continue to build this house, with the Lord's help.
The house that we will live in and the house that is our family.
Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.
Ephesians 5:33
Whew!!! SO glad that is behind you. Matt would give me a heart attack....crazy guy! Great shot of his shenanigans....you will laugh about it one day. Promise. XOXO
ReplyDeleteI hope so!! I'm just glad that part is over. I have been not looking forward to it for a while.
DeleteMy goodness !! I can totally see Joey in Phil , in the picture of you and Phil !!!
ReplyDeleteYour roof ( sorry prob not the right term ) looks awesome !!!!!
You are getting so close !!! I'm literally checking this all the time to see the siding !!!!
I'm not sure why men/boys seem to think scaring the wits out of us is the funniest !!!! Lol
I can't even imagine sitting up there !!!!
Constantly amazed at the work your family is accomplishing !!!! So proud of you all !!!
Happy thanksgiving !!!!
Yes, they do look alike. Phil wears transition lenses so he took them off for the picture because they go so dark outside but when he has them off you can really see the resemblance. Yes, siding is coming soon, hopefully. A few loose ends to tie up first and then they'll start on it. It's coming together!!! Everyone is getting excited!
DeleteAnd yes, Happy Thanksgiving to you too!! :-)
Delete