Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Another Quick Update

Some people equate having cancer to being a soldier in a battle and that is fair. I can relate to that. I, however, can also equate having cancer to being at an amusement park on a roller coaster. Especially if you hate roller coasters. 

Get in, buckle up and HANG ON!! 

That is what today felt like. A bit of a roller coaster. Some things in my control and some not. There were some missing labs so we had to figure that out and have more blood drawn and after I had finally worked myself up to it, we changed plans and I didn't start chemo today.  

When you're starting treatment for hormone receptor positive breast cancer, there are actually two drugs that you take together. Palbociclib (Ibrance) is the chemo drug and Letrozole is an aromatase inhibitor, or hormone blocker. Last time I had treatment, I started those drugs together and had an oophorectomy (removal of my ovaries) a few weeks later. To say it was a shock to my body is an understatement. This time, we think it would be good if I eased into it a bit slower so even though I picked up all of the medication today, I am only going to start the Letrozole. If I do that on it's own for a couple of weeks, hopefully my body will adjust to it before we add the chemo in. And, of course, thankfully no surgery this time. 


It is bizarre how you can be so incredibly thankful for something and yet dread it all at the same time. 


This means that I will have a bit more time to adjust to one medication before adding the other. Thank you Lord! It means that I will have a bit more time to prepare myself and my family for the weeks to come. Thank you Lord! It also means that me and my dear, dear friend, who is going through this same battle/roller coaster, will most likely start the same treatment for the same disease on the same day. If we have to do this, I'm thankful to have a friend to do it with. Only You Lord could have orchestrated that.

Thank you!



And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, 

to them that are the called according to his purpose.

Romans 8:28

2 comments:

  1. our care group will be standing with you Esther as you go thru the treatments.

    ReplyDelete