I had a birthday last month and it was a big one! I turned 50! *Gasp* I know!! I can totally remember wondering what life would be like at 50 when I was back in my 20's. In some ways, it isn't anything like I thought it would be and yet in other ways, it is so extraordinarily better than I could have ever imagined. One of the most valuable things that age has given me is perspective. Things I just couldn't see when I was younger, I can see so clearly now. For example.
If you would have told me as a younger person that I would have seven children (seven!!), I would have never believed you. Me? Seven? (Um, no, my nails!!) How do you even care for that many people when you are so outnumbered? When do you ever sleep? How do you feed and clothe that many kids? Not to mention school them!! (Don't even get me started on that one! That came later! Too much too soon and I would have gone running from the building!). And the laundry? Oh my, please no! All I would have been able to see is how much WORK was involved and how little leftover there would be for me! And yet now? I look at each one of them now and think, oh my, what would we have ever done without you? How did we manage to live life before you? You were worth it all and then some! Thank you Lord! A thousand times, thank you! By pouring into you, I filled me too. Funny how that works. Was it easy? No, I'm not going to lie, at times it was really hard. Some things were out of my control but some things I made harder for myself. If you ever want to find out how selfish of a person you are, just have children. It will open your eyes pretty quick. But raising children has also single handedly been the most effective way to help me see myself the way the Lord sees me. I see that now. And I am so thankful!
This picture was a gift from my family to me for my birthday. They know how much I treasure our family pictures and they went to great lengths to make this happen (if you've ever tried to get a largish group together for a picture, then you know!). Even down to our photographer who had to drop what he was doing and make a mad dash for us because at the very last minute, all of our schedules aligned and the weather co-operated! Thank you so much J!!
I love each person in this picture so deeply. I see their struggles and I pray for them. I rejoice with them and I cry with them and when life is messy (as it often is), we work through it. This is my mission field right here. These people are my mission field and as I grow older, I can see how valuable that the work has been and continues to be. I can see how much it mattered. Thank you Lord for taking my meager efforts and for blessing them. For filling in all of the gaps with Your Grace and for continuing the work that You have begun in each of our lives. We are confident that you will continue this work and are so thankful for that.
Another one of the best parts about getting older is that you get grandchildren! Oh my heart! Literally! If you would have tried to explain to my younger self how one little person, who is not your own child, can completely change you forever, I would have never understood. The way his little face lights up when he sees us? Our language is very limited and there are just not words to appropriately express all the feels. Suffice it to say that this little mister is loved beyond words! We treasure every minute we are with him and *spoiler alert*, a little brother or sister will be joining his family in the New Year! Oh my! We are so excited and cannot wait!
Was I kidding? 😍
We have celebrated a number of birthdays, not just mine! So bring on the birthday pics!!
This was a special birthday! A first! So special! And so fun!
Kass, it feels like you've always been here! 💖
Growing up so fast but still little!
A big smile for a big day!!
Who says you have to have cake to celebrate!
Oh those trifles though!
Sometimes a guy just has to have two cakes!
Happy Birthday Joe!
We love celebrating special days! Each person has their own idea of what makes it special. (Even if that person doesn't want to share it here so there is no picture evidence for you!) Another aspect of being older is what things are special to me now and that has changed since my younger days as well. Some of the most extraordinary things to me, are also some of the most ordinary! As I look back over my 50th year, these are most assuredly some of my most favourite and extraordinarily, ordinary things! (In no particular order).
A beautiful spot to meet a new friend.
Watching the sun rise.
Dirty baby toes.
Trifle. Yum yum.
A walk in the park.
Saturday brunch.
Those smiles.
Bubbles.
Admiring the handiwork of an amazing Artist.
Swinging with Grammy on the porch swing.
Warm friends on a cold day.
Laughs with Auntie.
Yummy food.
Where I walk and hand my cares over to the Lord.
Feeling good on hospital days.
Being silly.
Matching hats.
Dinner time antics.
Walks in the rain.
Leaves changing colour.
When Dad can walk with us!
Laughs with Uncle Ben.
Roasting marshmallows with family.
Watching Steve be the live music.
School pics with my last three in school.
Day trip fun on Ben’s route.
Grandpa snuggles.
Watching a sweet little family grow.
Bike rides.
The first snowfall of the season.
And through it all... together.
We're not perfect. Not even close. I could fill up blog post upon blog post about our failures and our short comings. The ways we have hurt each other over the years, sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. But what I would rather do, is leave you with the words of a hymn of what we actually long for. What we hope for. And with the Lord's help as He grows and stretches us day by day, what we strive toward.
~ A Christian Home ~
O give us homes built firm upon the Saviour,
Where Christ is Head, and Counsellor and Guide;
Where ev'ry child is taught His love and favour
And gives his heart to Christ, the crucified.
How sweet to know that tho' his footsteps waver,
His faithful Lord is walking by his side!
O give us homes with godly father, mothers,
Who always place their hope and trust in Him;
Whose tender patience turmoil never bothers;
Whose calm and courage trouble cannot dim;
A home where each finds joy in serving others,
And love still shines, tho' days be dark and grim!
O give us homes where Christ is Lord and Master,
The Bible read, the precious hymns still sung;
Where prayer comes first in peace or in disaster,
And praise is natural speech to ev'ry tongue;
Where mountains move before a faith that's vaster,
And Christ sufficient is for old and young.
O Lord, our God, our homes are Thine forever!
We trust to Thee their problems, toil and care.
Their bonds of love no enemy can sever
If Thou art always Lord and Master there.
Be Thou the Center of our least endeavor.
Be Thou our Guest, our hearts and homes to share.
Words - Barbara B. Hart, 1965
Music - Jean Sibelius, 1899
For my praying friends and family, my three month scans are next week. I know, that went fast, didn't it? Hopefully, I will be able to give a quick update when I get the results. As tempting as it is to worry, I'm leaving it all with the Lord. Thank you for praying with me.
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.... So now faith, hope and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 & 13








































Esther, I love your posts! You have a beautiful family.
ReplyDelete