These two little ladies are getting used to the idea of being led around the yard on a line (a scoop or two of yummy treats helps them learn a lot faster!).
This is actually a dog kennel but it works great for our purposes.
We believe in the same principles as Joel Salatin so we are introducing the sheep to rotational grazing. This kennel allows us to move them to fresh pasture everyday and also helps keep them safe from any stray dogs or coyotes (which have been an issue, unfortunately). It's sort of a 21st century shepherd, if you will.
Yes, it has been the deck that has held us up the last couple weeks. I am happy to say that it is finally finished. To remind you, we needed the deck finished so we could put the beams up that will hold the deck roof up. We would like the deck roof up to put the upstairs window in so...... once the trusses are up, we can move on to windows. Yay!!
Ben and Matt make a great team. But you know, when I watch them working together, I can't help but still see them like this.....
...and this...
...this...
...and one of my very favourites, this!!
It seems like just yesterday, that they were a ball of arms and legs, wrestling in the yard. OK, I still actually find them that way, but they have also grown into mature, very capable, young men and we are so thankful for them and all the hard work they do.
The end of the deck. Can you see the holes that will hold the beams?
Phil is preparing the house for the hangers that will hold the trusses in place.
I am holding one end of the house wrap trying to be helpful.
Nicely done!
Break time selfie!! Even if one of us doesn't want to participate! :-)
Ben and Matt have finished building all the beams and they are ready to install.
One day, he'll be able to lean against that without fear of it falling over. Lordwilling.
Center, level and brace the corner post and work out from there. See, I'm learning. I would have started at one end and worked my way toward the other.
It's starting to materialize.
Time for the trusses to go up.
A lot of progress for one, especially hot day!
So, how does one cool off after said especially hot day??
Oh my but that must feel good!!
It has been hot! I mean, solidly in the 30's (90F) kind of hot. And it's miserable to work in that kind of heat. Ask anyone who works outside, and they'll tell you the extremes of the seasons are the hardest to bear. The frigid temperatures in the winter and when the sun beats down in the summer are some of the hardest conditions to work in. And summer hasn't even officially started yet. I'm not sure if it's because you know relief is coming eventually that makes you keep going. In the winter, you know soon you can take off those freezing wet clothes and warm up with a cup of tea and your warm, fuzzy slippers will bring feeling back to those poor, numb toes. In the summer, you long for icy, cold drinks and cool water to bring your body temperature back down to normal. It's not that you can't work in extreme conditions, it's just that you just long for relief. We can do almost anything, for a little while, especially if we know relief is coming. (I used to tell myself this while I was in labour!)
I think it is very similar to living on this earth. It's uncomfortable and actually, down right miserable at times. There is so much hopelessness. There are tears and sadness, people coping with seemingly unbearable circumstances.
But don't lose hope. Relief is coming.
A time of refreshment will come like no other.
Just a little while longer.
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.
Acts 3:19-21




It's so fun to see your progress, and the fun rewards, too!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you!!
DeleteYour wrap-around porch (it does go all the way around, right?) looks amazing!!! And, the boys...I remember them looking a bit like that last muddy shot...maybe a little bit older? Was that about the time we met? And...the lake...what a blessing! Hugs, Camille XO
ReplyDeleteThank you! The porch wraps around three sides. We left the back off to allow for the walk out basement. Yes, it would have been right around then or shortly thereafter that we met your family. It's been such a blessing to know you!! :-)
Delete