Thursday, August 6, 2015

Pouring Rain & Concrete

Sorry I've been MIA for a bit. Life is busy as usual but I also had a medical emergency that required surgery and landed me in the hospital a couple of days. Don't worry, nothing too serious but serious enough to knock me out of commission for a bit and I don't think I need to tell you what happens when the mom in a family of nine goes down. Yeah, it's not pretty. I'm kidding, actually, they did pretty good. They are getting to an age where things continue mostly as they would if I was there with maybe a few extra convenience meals thrown in. I remember when the children were younger, I would dread getting sick because of the chaos it caused and how much extra work it created for me, just when I was starting to feel better. Thankfully, they are old enough to help out and give me time to rest and recover. But life waits for no one and carries on as busy as ever, whether I'm there to see it or not.


Getting set up.


The gravel in the basement has been covered with a vapour barrier to prevent radon gas from entering the house. 


They are beginning to set up the hose that will deliver the concrete.


It was a very busy morning with lots of vehicles coming and going. It's kind of ironic because it has been so hot lately but the day of the pour, they were calling for thunder showers. Thankfully, the rain held off while they poured but trust me when I say the heavens delivered eventually.


Getting prepped, almost ready.....


...and let the pouring begin.



The view from above. It's looking good.




So glad these guys know what they're doing.


And voila, a basement floor!



       

Time for the stairs.


Once the concrete is set, we can remove the forms and finally have a decent entrance to the basement.


Of course, it wouldn't be interesting if there wasn't a little drama. I was supposed to be resting which I was. Phil phoned home to ask if it was raining. It wasn't. He asked us to put some poly over the stairs just in case. The concrete was fine but because the gutter isn't installed on the roof yet, the rain would drop from the second floor and possibly damage the concrete. Of course, by the time we got out there, the heavens had opened and we were drenched within seconds. BUT we saved the concrete.



 I know, it's not pretty but under the circumstances and given my condition, it was the best we could do. And it did the job and that's what matters.




Inside the house, work is happening too. The doors are  in. Well, almost all of the doors. Can you believe we are still waiting for the front door to be delivered? I think the door company is going to get a stern talking to. Just kidding! Who does that?


I think these doors are going to be my favourite.



A damp reminder that the ridge cap still needs to be installed. It's been too hot lately to be up on the metal roof. Hopefully, it can be finished at the same time we do the siding. Speaking of the siding, it has all been ordered. I think you will be surprised when you see what colour we chose. It's not a colour that would normally be our "go to" colour but it has grown on me while we've been considering exterior colours these last few months. I'm excited to see it finished.


Well, the garden also doesn't wait for anyone. It is amazing how quickly things grow. Especially the weeds.


OK, the zucchini too.


Yikes, a little bigger than I'd like but not that bad.


The pumpkins are coming along nicely. 


This is unbelievable. Do you remember when the watermelon looked like this?


That was literally less than a month ago. We weren't sure they were going to make it but they are looking promising. 


Thankfully, we got bags of beans and peas in the freezer before I took an unexpected break.


The sunflowers are getting tall!!




Sigh. The weeds. They come up so quickly. It doesn't take long. Only a few days of inattention and they are a force to be reckoned with. I have read this book to our older children many times and I think it's time to dig it out and read it again. Here is the description:

  Few children's books speak frankly with them about their own sinful nature and inclinations; or their tendency to judge harshly those who sin in ways that they do not believe themselves capable of. 


There may be no children's story ever published which displays these points better than this one -- and also persuading children how sin is like the tough roots of weeds, which must be pulled out of their hold in the soil, before they by degrees take over the entire field of our hearts.



We talk a lot as we sit in the garden, pulling weeds together. It's such a good way for young minds (and, ahem, older ones too) to grasp many concepts. In fact, many of life's issues can be solved by looking no further than examples we find in the garden.



Hear then the parable of the sower. When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is the one on whom seed was sown beside the road. The one on whom seed was sown on the rocky places, this the the man who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; yet he has no firm root in himself, but is only temporary, and when affliction or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he falls away. And the one on whom seed was sown among the thorns, this is the man who hears the word, and the worry of the world and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful. And the one on whom seed was sown on the good soil, this is the man who hears the word and understands it; who indeed bears fruit and brings forth, some a hundredfold, some sixty and some thirty.

Matthew 13:18-23


*Thank you to Hannah who took all the photos and video of them pouring concrete as I wasn't able to be there.*

5 comments:

  1. Dear me! Surgery?? SO sorry to learn that you have been through that in recent days my friend. What a sweet blessing your family is!! I am so pleased that they took care of things in your absence. Are you all mended? We must chat on the phone soon. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for asking! I'm mostly better. I don't bounce back as quick as I used to, haha. Yes, I'd love to chat on the phone! I had a wonderful visit with Esther D. yesterday. Missing you all so much!! <3 <3

      Delete
    2. Yaay....two of my favourite Esthers together....it makes me smile to think of it!!! I'll try to call you this coming week. XO

      Delete
  2. The house looks great Esther, sorry to hear you had to spend some time in the hospital, praying for a full and quick recovery, I look forward to the next post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin! I'm working on one right now! :-)

      Delete