Sunday, August 30, 2015

Smoke and Rain.

No, we aren't setting off fireworks, especially not with all the fire restrictions in place. Ben is just cutting sheets of metal and the boys were trying out different settings on the camera. We did need to be mindful of the sparks but trust me, it looks a lot more spectacular than it really was. It had just rained too which makes it a good time to make sparks, if you have to.





Some pretty neat effects though.


Look what came this week!! And on the day it was supposed to, what a novel idea!


Here's a sneak peak at the colour of the siding! So exciting!!


We have basement stairs!! Yay!!


The porch roof is mostly done. Ben and Matt did a great job!


Beside the house, the goat is working his way through the weeds growing on this pile of dirt.


Maybe goats like burdock too? That'd be nice! We still have burdock but definitely not as much as last year. 


Oh, hello there!


I seriously can't wait to eat this. This week I think!


I see orange....


...the pumpkins are ready!


We are up to our ears in corn here. Oh yes, pun very much intended.


It's ready and it looks yummy!


Ready to be cooked. We cook ours for just three minutes. 


Hot, buttered and salted! It's the most wonderful time of the ear, I mean year!!


We have been having issues with so much smoke here. We don't have any fires burning close to us, this is blowing in from quite some distance but, oh my, is it thick. I don't usually have any breathing issues but I can definitely feel it in my chest. Our thoughts and prayers though, go out to those who have lost their houses and belongings in these fires. It has been a brutal fire season.


This is what that same place looks like on a clear day.


Seriously, there is a huge mountain there somewhere.


Smoke or no smoke, the chores must be done. Hannah is taking a break from helping move the cows around.


If any of you remember Phil 'back in the day', you'll remember this bike. It's a 1986 Honda VFR 750 and Phil had one just like it. (Can it really be almost 30 years old?) I was running some errands and when I came out of the store and saw this in the parking lot, I literally gasped. I could actually feel tears welling up just seeing it there (I'm getting so emotional, I know). We have so many great memories riding his bike together before we were married. Yes, I waited to talk to the owner about it, the original owner, I might add and I asked to take some pictures for Phil. So much fun to see it again, I only wish Phil could have been with me.



We are very thankful for the rain the last couple of days that has washed the smoke away and made the evenings beautiful again. It reminds me so much of being washed clean from sin and being made righteous in the sight of God. Not because of anything that I have done or that I even deserved it but because Jesus Christ took my place and my punishment for my sin on Calvary so many years ago. His death and resurrection are what make it possible for me to stand boldly before the throne of God. I have had this hymn going through my head this week.  If you want to hear it, you can go here. It sums up exactly what I am feeling tonight.


Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea.
A great high Priest whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in Heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.


When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free.
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me.


Behold Him there the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of glory and of grace,
One in Himself I cannot die.
My soul is purchased by His blood,
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Savior and my God!

Words: Charitie L. Bancroft, 1863.




For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another. But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and the renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Titus 3:3-7

8 comments:

  1. Oh Esther...God bless you my friend, I feel like I repeat myself a lot, but you have no idea how blessed ths mamas heart is every time I come hear and read about your family, and see the work He's doing in all your lives, but the scripture you posted and that hymn by Selah (love them) really spoke to me...it was exactly what I needed! THAnKYOU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for always having something kind and encouraging to say! You are a dear friend! :-)

      Delete
  2. We love that hymn....so precious! Your produce looks amazing!! Yummy...we *love* corn!!! And, your home...it's coming along beautifully. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Camille! So glad to see you're 'back'!

      Delete
  3. Oh my trying to comment on this is frustrating

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks so good !!! From the siding to the pumpkins and corn !!!
    I was hoping a couple of those pumpkins could make their way to my house !!!😙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello!! Thank you!! And yes, I've heard that it can be hard to comment here. Not sure why but thanks for trying and figuring it out!! I totally would have brought you a pumpkin!!!!! And not just because you commented either!! Lol Love you!!!!

      Delete