Sorry, I've been away. It wasn't intentional, life is just like that, sometimes. There hasn't been very much going on (mostly more waiting) and that, combined with not having my camera out much, just doesn't make for good blogging.
We are still waiting on insulation. We received a text today assuring us that we are in a priority position but we still have to wait, as we are now working around weather conditions as well as schedules. The drywallers have us in their queue as well but we have to fit an insulation inspection in before they can come so it will most likely be the end of next week before we see any drywall up. We should be hooked up to hydro this week though so that will be nice to have electricity at the house instead of running lines up from the garage. The kitchen is scheduled to be delivered on December 21. Hmm, I think I know what we may be doing over Christmas this year.
Snow!!
Have the children been out making snow angels?
No, it's just the funny tracks these guys make in the snow.
Before the snow, we were able to get a trailer full of leaves for the garden.
Nutrient dense compost for the garden. I'm already dreaming about spring!
Phil has been trying out different stain combinations on pieces of fir flooring and we really like this one. The left side is what we'll use on the main floor. It has one coat of stain and four coats of tung oil thinned with d-limonene. It still needs three more coats for maximum absorption.The right side is unstained and is what we'll use upstairs. That long dark streak on the left is a burn mark from the planer at the mill. We won't use pieces like that but it's good to have some cut offs to practice on.
Speaking of practicing.... we got these samples of pine from the mill as well. These are Phil's first attempts at applying the stain and oil. It's interesting to see how each type of wood reacts to stain. I like the application much better on the fir and I prefer the shade of stain on the fir as well which was the result of much experimenting. Thank you for all your work, Phil. It's going to be beautiful.
This is the stain. It's in powder form and you just add water until you get the colour you like.
Still making up my mind on wall colour. I think I might move into the deeper, more brownish greens. Oh my, they are so pretty. I'm deciding between the second and third from the top. That is a sample of the living room curtains.
I have this verse on the wall in our room. It is placed strategically so it's the last thing I see before I go to sleep and the first thing I see when I wake up.
Need I say more?
Be still, and know that I am God...
Psalm 46:10a




The stain for the floor looks awesome! If you choose a similar wood and stain for the trim, it would be like "icing" on the cake ;-)
ReplyDeleteAh but you make me laugh! Thanks Miller! And yet I am unmoved. I still like the white trim. White cabinets, you know!
DeleteYour floor is going to be gorgeous!!! I am looking forward to seeing it all put together....it's all going to be beautiful. XOXO
ReplyDeleteThank you! I am looking forward to it too! It feels like we've been waiting so long to see it all come together. It's getting there!
Delete