Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Let The Painting Begin!

It seems like we went so long without having much to do. Just waiting, (what seemed like forever) for the trades to finish and then suddenly, the next step is here and the step after that and things are moving at a surprising rate. The drywallers finished sanding Friday night and Saturday morning, we started priming the walls. It felt so good to work! If I ever needed a reminder though, that I have been sitting for the better part of 6 weeks, an 8 hour shift painting was it. I was s.o.r.e. the next day!! But a good sore. If there is such a thing!


Ah, that's better! Cleaned and organized.


I'm not sure if it's being in my 40's or being in 900 sq ft for over a year but I'm craving order and organization. Now I just want to sit in this room and drink my tea. Perhaps we'll move the saw first.


It's so bright inside! I love it!


The ceiling is textured on the living room side and flat on the kitchen side. If there is ever another incident involving the kitchen ceiling and spaghetti sauce, it will be so much easier to clean without texture. Please, just don't ask how I know about these things.


A closer look at the texture. It's very fine.


With the sanding finished, the whole house is covered in a fine layer of dry wall dust.


Steven is ready for a turn vacuuming.


His first time vacuuming his new room!


Phil finishes the vacuuming and it's time to start priming the walls.


He gets the honour of applying the first few strokes of primer.


Steven gets in on the action.


If we ever have to paint in Heaven, which I'm sure we won't, but if we do, this is exactly how it will be. The prepping (the hardest and most tedious part) is already done for you. No patching, no sanding, no taping, no edging. Moldings? There is none! Spill a bit on the floor? Who cares? The floor hasn't even been installed yet! No wasting time with all those details, just pick up your roller and paint. It just doesn't get any better than that. As far as painting goes, that is.


The fruit of some of my labour.


Phil tackles a bathroom. Or two.


Joey helps prime the corners in his room.


Matt finishes up the younger boys' room.


We better hurry and make the final decision for downstairs. It seemed so far off for so long and now it's here. So thankful for samples so I can see different shades on the wall! (Is it just me or does that look a lot like camouflage? I definitely did not plan that!!)


Only one colour will go on the wall, which one will it be?


Ben is not making my job any easier. :-)


Time for a break! Matt's always got time for Tim Horton's.


The wait is over. The first traces of colour appear.


The Dynamic Duo. 
(Seriously though, these guys can paint!)


I am so happy with how it turned out.


It's only the first coat but it looks great!


The girls chose this colour themselves.


Ben and Matt put the first coat on and it looks a.m.a.z.i.n.g!! So cheery! Good choice! 


Here's a sneak peek at the kitchen drawers.


This one goes in a bathroom.


Supporting our Canadian economy whenever we can.


Phil built these saw horses to cut the floor and the moldings. 
*Pinching myself! Can it be time for that already?*


Speaking of floor, we borrowed these samples from the store. 


I think we all agree on this one for the bathrooms and the laundry room.


This is a much more reasonable temperature for inside the house. It's hard to believe that the little fireplace in the basement is keeping the house this warm.


Of course, it has been a pretty mild winter so far and you know what mild temperatures bring... 

Snow. Lots of snow!


Time to get outside and have some fun!!


I know it's blurry but this is exactly how I want to remember it! 


Joey takes a break after his ride.


As much fun as the snow can be, it is a lot of work too. We are very thankful for neighbours with tractors! It's been a busy season keeping the driveway clear.



So things are happening! And we are thankful. Very thankful!   We worked all day yesterday and today and I am so tired that I can't wait to go to bed but we accomplished so much! It's like we have all just been waiting to be able to do something, anything really, and now that we can, everyone is excited to help. I'm thankful for that too! Today, I'm just thankful. 

Tired and thankful. 



And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Colossians 3:17

4 comments:

  1. Yippeeee!!!! It all looks amazing! What a wonderful blessing to have so many helpers. And....love all the colours and flooring and cabinet choices....beautiful. Hugs, Camille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Such a blessing!! We are so thankful for each one! And thank you. It's been a wild ride picking everything out but it's neat to see it finally all coming together. :-)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful colours, I love them all! I can't get over how Steve looks so much like Matt in these photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, I often get them mixed up myself. Poor Steve will have to get used to going through life being called Matt.

      Delete