It's interesting to see the places where people like to spend their time. Perhaps a mall, walking around taking it all in. Maybe a hiking trail, exploring the vast open spaces. The possibilities are just as diverse as the people themselves.
Lately, this is where we are spending a lot of our time.
So much so, that we are usually greeted by name. "Hey Phil. Hey Esther. Back again?" It's kind of fun and kind of embarrassing all at the same time. More so, when it's, "How's the house building going? You're still married? Impressive."
At some point, I gravitate toward the paint department. Even though we had mostly settled on colours a while ago. I like to play little games with myself like, are you sure that's the one you want? It can be a fun way to spend the afternoon, if you're into that sort of thing. (Did anyone else notice that rascally paint chip card facing the wrong direction? No worries, I fixed it.)
I think the paint companies had people like me in mind when they came up with these categories. Nothing says comfort to some of us more than mashed potatoes and neutral paint colours.
Yes, just natural please!
Maybe I'll be brave enough to try these one day but not today!
So you think it's great that you've got a colour picked out? Well, just head over to the paint aisle then and try to decide what kind of paint you want to use. I can feel my palms starting to sweat.
Thankfully help can be found in some very unexpected places. Even in the hardware store.
A timely reminder as we head over to flooring. We still need to decide what to use for the bathrooms and the laundry room.
Back at home, we've been waiting for about a foot of cumulative snow to come down from the roof and it finally did. I wish I would have taken a before picture or at least been there to see it. We've been wondering how problematic it would be since deciding on a 12/12 pitch. There's really only one way to find out. Wait for it to come down.
I'm using night photos because it's actually easier to see. The pile is about 4 feet high. I'm glad that no one was standing there when it happened. When we live there, we will try to do more controlled falls, preferably when no one is around.
We were concerned about the snow falling into the stairwell in the back but it falls a good 10 feet away from the house, which is good.
Inside, taping and mudding are well under way.
Stilts are a tool of the drywalling trade that are generally only worn by people who know how to use them. Generally. So if someone in our family ends up with a broken leg, you'll know what happened.
No names mentioned.
BEN!!
It looks easy to do but there is a good deal of talent required to get it just right. Which is why we left it to the professionals!
Too much or too little mud can cause many problems.
This is a little cubby closet upstairs that the younger kids can't wait to play in.
The main floor guest bedroom. Those black wires sticking out are for the heater head. We had one put in this bedroom so it can be controlled independently from the rest of the house. If you ever come and stay with us, you're welcome!
I was wondering why the drywallers were changing into shorts to work in the house. This would be why. It is important that the house stays warm so the drywall can dry properly and yup, that's warm. It's a bit of a shock actually when you come in from outside where it's below zero.
They have these fans set up all through the house to help circulate the air.
The basement bathroom.
The girls inspect their bathroom.
Looking up the stairs.
Notice anything different here? We are finally on the grid! No more extension cords running up from the garage!
I really want to get in there and clean and organize! But we are respecting the drywaller's work area. We don't want them to be looking for their tools everyday.
It's sort of organized chaos.
Fans and heaters everywhere.
This is an interesting picture showing the handiwork of three trades. And Phil, of course.
Little house on the hill.
I took this picture while we were out shopping but it doesn't do it any justice. It was breathtaking! And I wasn't the only one in the parking lot with my camera out! I am so thankful to have always lived in an area with a view of the mountains. I love the mountains! What a great reminder to see what the Bible says our lives should be built on. What our marriages should be built on as well. A solid rock. That got me thinking about why it's a typical comment we hear that building a house together could mean the end of our marriage. It takes a great deal to move a mountain. Notice I didn't say it couldn't be moved at all, lest I be accused of legalism but it would take something big, no, something huge to shake it! But building a house together? What does that say about us?
Phil and I come from an 'opposites attract' point of view, which means our tastes and preferences are usually just that. Opposite. So it can be especially challenging to agree on how things should be done. (Have I ever led you to believe otherwise? haha) So, how are we 'still married' after all these years? The answer is a firm foundation. The Solid Rock which is Jesus Christ. Does that make it easy? Um, no. Do we make mistakes? Most assuredly! The parable of the house on the rock has been used to describe not only our personal faith, but also the house that is our marriage and it makes a lot of sense. The rain descended, the floods came and the winds blew and beat upon that house.
And it fell not.
It goes outside the intention of this blog and of course, the scope of my own ability, to surmise what a happy life and a happy marriage will look like to everyone. One size does not fit all. But suffice to say that happiness in life, as in marriage, begins with the same principles. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and live your life with the joy and contentment that comes from serving others rather than being served.
In whatever you do.
Therefore whosever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
Matthew 7:24-27
* My heart goes out to all families who have experienced the dissolution of marriage, for whatever reason and my comments here are in no way meant to intentionally hurt anyone.


You. Are. Precious. (Just had to say that....so thankful that we are friends!) How very, very true it is. Marriage is best when built on the Solid Rock of the Saviour. How wonderful it is to belong to Him! Now...the house. Amazing progress!! Yes, taping, mudding, and sanding are best done by the people who do that sort of thing all the time...I agree! What a HUGE job it is! And, painting comes next. What exciting days these are in the progress of your home. Oh, and BEN...get off those stilts!! ;) With Love, Camille
ReplyDeleteThank you! I never know if my thoughts make sense after I've written them down! Haha! Yes paint! Hard to believe it's time soon. The primer is here, just waiting now for the mud to dry and be sanded. Hopefully soon!
Delete