Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Of Plans and Permits

The move is completely finished (yay!!) and we are officially in the 'application for a building permit' wait.  It can take up to 4-6 weeks. This gives us lots of time to settle in and make some sort of normal (haha) routine before we mix it all up again with a building project.

We were hoping to have the building permit application completed before we moved but the process for the regional district we live in is a long and tedious one.


The district we had hoped to stay in was much more relaxed about permits but having looked at a lot of the houses that were built in that district, well, let's just say there is room to cut a lot of corners.


So even though the process will take that much longer and possibly put us into adverse weather conditions for building, we are thankful that our house will be built well and according to the latest building codes.


I find it difficult to look at these drawings and actually "see" what our house will look like. I have trouble visualizing things. Phil is much better in that department and can picture in his head how it will all look.  I am glad one of us can.



On Monday we finished completely at the other house and we now have all of our things and people in one place.  Not having to drive between two houses is a great feeling.  Our van decided to give us some trouble while we were moving which was inconvenient to say the least.   We got our van back yesterday and although it took two different mechanics almost 3 weeks to figure it out, we are thankful that it was an easy, relatively inexpensive fix.  Thank you to the C family for blessing us with the use of their van during the move.

It was odd to see the house empty of all of our things. It seemed so much bigger. Maybe that's because I am already getting used to being in a much smaller space.  :-)





5 comments:

  1. Wow Esther, looks like it will be very nice. Did you buy the plans & customize or did you two do the design yourselves? Looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin. Thank you! Phil first showed me the plans that he had drawn for this house when we were still dating!! So it's mostly his design with a few 'suggestions' from me. (read kitchen and laundry room) Haha The architect that drew up the plans for us made a couple of changes as well for ease of building and keeping to code. I was so happy for Phil though to see his plans actually drawn up after all these years! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful! I love that porch...oh...and a kitchen will be good...and a laundry room. :) Your *old* home looks lonely. I am glad we were able to see it *lived in*...but, I must say, I am looking forward to seeing the new place when it's done. SO happy for you! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you were able to visit at our old house too. Hope that you will be able to come again to see the new one, and us, of course! :)

      Delete
  4. Yay! I found where you posted the plans. I love it! This is almost exactly the house plan I have floating around in my head too LOL. I guess there aren't all that many ways to lay out a simple rectangle house for a large family ;).

    ReplyDelete