Sunday, March 29, 2015

Fiddler on the Roof

Another long post here so I'll get right to it. We had really wanted to start the roof on Friday so we would have a good two days to work on it. The weather was supposed to be nice and at the last minute, Ben was able to be home too, so the plan was a go.

Day 1


Phil is installing the drip edge and testing out his safety harness.


Matt is getting set up.


Ben is passing out snacks. Sort of. 


And they're off...


I'm sure there are more elegant ways of doing this but this is the system we came up with for getting the sheets of metal onto the roof when the zoom boom didn't show up.





Once the piece was in place, Phil would run up and hold it while Matt dragged it up to the top. It was too crowded for more than two people on the roof so Ben worked with Hannah on the ground getting the sheets over there and helping lift from the bottom. It wasn't always pretty but it worked. 

  

                                   

Once each sheet of metal was in place, it all had to be screwed down.  Each sheet needed 52 screws. There are 14 sheets of metal on each side, so 28 sheets in all for a total of 1,456 screws!! 


Halfway. Almost there!!



Ta Da!! The finished product!! I don't have any pictures of them putting the last sheet on because quite frankly, I didn't watch. Matt changed into different shoes that allow for a better grip but even then, the metal sheets are very slippery and quite dangerous because of the pitch. This is why they didn't want to work on the roof in the rain. Not because they didn't want to get wet, but because the metal sheets are slippery enough when they are dry! Thank you so much to everyone that prayed for their safety (and my sanity).


It looks beautiful!! So thankful for all their hard work!!


Yikes, that's steep. There are two roof anchors mounted to the trusses. These are what the guys tie on to.


The anchors will fit under the ridge cap so they will be left permanently attached. That's so that we, haha, let's be serious, they will be able to tie on for any future work/repairs to the roof or to clean the chimney etc. (note: those two ropes are tied on the same anchor for the picture only. Each rope is attached to it's own anchor when they are working.)


This is the rope grab. It locks onto the rope when there is any downward pressure, similar to how a seat belt works. The rope can sometimes be a nuisance though and more than once, I've heard that the system can restrict mobility and the rope itself can cause injury by tripping when getting tangled in each others ropes. Fell on deaf ears, it did. I am the self appointed, self proclaimed, Safety Supervisor/Inspector and I take my job very seriously. I would even hold meetings, if anyone would come. When it comes to safety, you just can't be too careful. What was that about an ounce of prevention? Oh yes, worth a pound of cure.

Safety First!!! 

Day 2


Taking a minute to appreciate the view before getting started.


That's a long way down! Phil and Hannah "relaxing" at the top. 



Warming up is a good idea before you get started. 


 Here, Ben is practicing some Karate Kid moves.


And some Flying Squirrel.


Phil tests his harness again as he hammers those clouds into place.





I must say the second half went  much smoother and faster (isn't that always the case?) and before we knew it, the work was done. I am always amazed at how hard these guys work. They go all out, really.


It's a tough job, I know, but somebody's gotta do it.


In case you are wondering, we left that last sheet of metal off on purpose. The ridge cap still has to go on and it's much easier to climb the strapping to get to the top. That will be the last piece to go on.


That brings us to this last set of pictures. Here is my official disclaimer before I get any flaming tomatoes thrown my way and after I was previously pontificating about being the Safety Supervisor. First of all, he's tied on! Even if you can't see his harness (he wore his shirt over it). Second, we only had one side of the roof finished so he was still able to get up and down easily without any added, significant danger and third, he's been wanting to do this ever since we first talked about building a house. Let's face it, these guys work so hard and sometimes you just need to kick back a little and have some fun. 

As long as it can be done safely.

I may or may not be trying to convince myself here, as well. 

Either way......




                                  





You know you live in the country and sound carries when your neighbour, working over in the next field, shouts for him to keep playing! It also serves as a gentle reminder to us that we are not alone here and sound, in deed, does carry and we need to be mindful of that when we are outside. We have great neighbours here and we'd like to keep it that way! (Out of respect for their privacy, I try not to include any pictures of their properties here, which is why it might look to you like we don't have any.) 


So the roof is done. Mostly. The ridge cap still needs to go on and we are currently arguing, debating, ahem, rather discussing whether we should do it ourselves or whether we should hire someone who has more experience, to do it. I'm pretty sure you can guess my vote. I'll let you know who wins, I mean, what we decide. 

We are so thankful for the work that got done this weekend and that everyone was safe. Thank you, Lord! Really, the only thing that suffered this weekend was my inside chores. I have l.a.u.n.d.r.y. to catch up on tomorrow! 

But today we rest (and blog). 



The Lord was ready to save me: therefore we will sing my songs to the stringed instruments all the days of our life in the house of the Lord.

Isaiah 38:20

9 comments:

  1. yay... you have a roof!!! does it stay that way or does it get shingles of some kind? Anyway it looks pretty cool and is gonna move things along inside, much faster than they would without the roof... ;-) Praying for good weather and that the Lord continues to bless your family in all your endeavors... miss you guys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kevin. The flashing and ridge cap still need to go on, but basically, it's finished. Phil decided long before we started to build that he wanted to go with a metal roof rather than shingles for a number of reasons. I'm just glad there's a roof! Now it will finally stay dry inside, yay!! Hoping that things inside will move along now too. The roof was a big job and took longer than we would have liked. Next time, we're in town, we'll have to meet up for dinner or coffee. It has been a long time, hasn't it?

      Delete
  2. We prayed for you all as you did this job. It looks amazing! (And steep and yes, I am with you on the *let the guys who do this all the time do it* vote! Let Phil know...if it helps.) Ben playing the violin...beautiful! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know that it was Austin who inspired Ben to play the violin? We had been to your house and Austin had played some traditional Irish fiddle tunes and Ben was hooked! I remember him saying he was going to learn to do that!! Someone just asked Ben recently why he had wanted to play violin and he told them about Austin. So glad for their friendship! :-)

      Delete
    2. SO wonderful!!! Thank you for sharing that with me...you made me cry...in a good way. XO

      Delete
  3. Thank you Camille. I'm so glad that this part is mostly done. It's been on my mind since we started building that one day, we were going to have to roof it. They did a good job though and no one got hurt. So thankful for that and to everyone who prayed. Thank you!! And yes, I will tell him you're with me on that!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the safety meeting comment! I would hold various meetings in my house on many things....but I think I would be the only one listening, lol. The house looks amazing!!!!!! You have done sooooo much over such a brutal season, spring will be a breeze. The fun stuff of paint colours and flooring will start so soon and you will be doing a lot more of the hands on stuff I am sure, so make sure you delegate a photographer and try to find time to keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, meetings!! And office supplies!!! So thankful that we homeschool so I can at least justify my love of office supplies!! Thank you! It still feels like we have such a long way to go but yes we are talking about floors and colours etc. It's like putting together a gigantic puzzle though, you can't do this until this is done etc. etc. Im glad I'm not the one who has to orchestrate it all!!

      I was telling the boys about the bathroom you built in your other house and that you did the work yourself. They were impressed!!

      Delete