We ran into another weather related delay this weekend which seems odd because the sun was shining and otherwise, it was a gorgeous day. The delay? Wind. And boy, was it blowing! I don't think I need to say that roofing is dangerous on a calm day but when the wind was blowing like it was, you do NOT want to be 3 stories up trying to get sheets of metal onto a 12-12 pitch roof. There may have been certain parties that would have taken the chance but I'm glad that in the end, everyone listened to reason. (also known as me pleading like a crazy lady!) So although a post or so back, I mentioned that there should be pictures soon of actual roof material up, there's not. I should know better than to predict the future. It rarely works out the way I think it will.
That being said, there is always work to do and the uncooperative weather did not result in a day off. Just different work. :-)
The finished product....
We have stairs!! One set, anyway.
You can see where the next set will go underneath.
We have a lot of these rocks from the blast that we'd like to collect for future use and now that the snow is mostly melted, they are visible again. Hannah and Steven, entrepreneurs who drive a hard bargain, are taking on this job. They will also be subcontracting some work to their younger siblings. It's a good system where everyone benefits.
The snow is almost gone! That is exciting!
We have decided to put the garden here this year. Although the fence won't keep all of the unwanted animals out, it's better than nothing, for now.
Ben took the rototillor out for a practice run and Phil quickly commandeered it. He couldn't help himself. We've had a couple days where the temperature has reached 17C (62.6F) and it's hard not to think about gardening at that temperature.
The cows are still hay feeding but I found an encouraging sight..
Yup, grass! And it's growing!!
This is looking back towards the house from the garden. It's much lower ground than the house which we hope will be better for irrigation.
The camera is shaking because I couldn't hold it still in the wind.
Work very quickly turned into play at the end of the day.
The many faces of Miss Lydia.
Nice photo bomb, Ben!!
Joey and Abby popped in to say hello too!
Phil trying out selfie mode.
All things considered, it was still a good day. A fun day even. Showing me, yet again, that I am not nearly as much in control as I like to think I am. Control. It's one of those things we think we have until life happens and we realize just how little we actually have. That got me thinking, do I really want to be in control? And of what? This is an excerpt from the Cheque Book of the Bank of Faith, Daily Readings by C.H. Spurgeon. (http://www.christianbook.com/chequebook-the-bank-faith-tan-burgundy/9781845500719/pd/500717)
He shall choose our inheritance for us.
Psalm 47:4
...Being conscious of our own folly, we would not desire to rule our own destinies. We feel safer and more at ease when the Lord steers our vessel than we could possibly be if we could direct it according to our own judgement. Joyfully we leave the painful present and the unknown future with our Father, our Saviour, our comforter.
I remember reading this just after being diagnosed with cancer for the first time, 8 years ago. What amazing comfort these words brought me. I wasn't in control and I didn't have to be. Life was suddenly out of my control. My plans, my future. My life? Whether I had been conscious of it before, I had to admit it then, that they hadn't been mine all along. They belonged to the Lord. All of them. I gave them to Him.
Sweet relief.
I am so glad that the One who is in control of my life, actually has that. Control. He spoke the universe into existence (uni = one, verse = sentence). He speaks and the wind and the sea obey. How can I ever be afraid? Well, my faith is small at times. I'm prone to wander. Prone to forget what I know. Thankfully, He doesn't forget me. Thankfully, He never changes. Thankfully, I can face tomorrow because He is already there. He is not confined by time, like I am.
That is Who I want in control.
And he saith unto them, why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the sea; and there was a great calm. But the men marveled, saying, What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him!
Matthew 8:26-27





















I took Howie on a tour of your home happenings here the other day....he was super impressed! Phil has elevated to new heights in his mind. Thought that might make you smile. :)
ReplyDeleteThat DOES make me smile!! Thank you Howie! Hopefully we can give you all an in person tour this summer!!
Delete