Sunday, May 15, 2016

Finishing Well

The going is slow. Very slow. The cabinets have not been the easiest thing we've done so far. I mean, they're not sun pipes by any stretch but they have had their challenges, to be sure. Coupled with the fact that we have never installed cabinets before, it has taken much longer than expected. Some have been installed and uninstalled a couple of times and some actually needed warranty work done before we even started but in the end, they are mostly in and that's what matters. They are beautiful and I really can't wait to use them!!



Getting started! 


This seemed to be the most troublesome spot. Getting it just right took quite a while.


Coming together, piece by piece.


It really was like putting a  puzzle together.


The island is full of drawers. (Yay!!) There will be a smaller sink for washing veggies or what have you where that empty space is at the far left.


There is room for some stools on the other side of the island. We are all really looking forward to the extra space!


The drawers are in and it's starting to look complete. We just need to install the hardware.


This is about 3 times the counter space that I currently have. This is a good thing!


If you've noticed, there is no dishwasher. After much discussion and based on our previous experiences with dishwashers, we have decided not to install one. The plumbing is there for one, right between where the sink will be and the tall pantry, in case we ever change our minds but for our family, we find it easier to just wash the dishes ourselves. And that's what we've done for many years now. As an added bonus, in the meantime, we've installed an extra bank of drawers in that space and to be honest, I'd rather have more storage space than a dishwasher. Besides, I prefer live dishwashers, the ones that you can talk to while you're cleaning up. But that's just me.


Work continues on the bathrooms as well. This is the main floor/guest bathroom and it just needs a sink, a mirror and for the toilet to be installed.


The boys bathroom in the basement. 


Phil installed the light fixture in the upstairs bathroom and it looks great!


He even got a set of outside stairs installed!! I can't tell you how happy this makes me!!


He still needs to build the railings but for now...


...no more climbing up the side of the porch!


We have also been collecting rocks, of which there are many to choose from, to fill in the gap under the porch. It won't keep every creature out, just the ones we'd like to keep from using that space as a giant litter box.


Can't have a blog post without some animals in it! It's not everyone who has to shoo their sheep out of their workspace. It will be time soon for this group of curious explorers to be contained regularly with the ewes in the field which makes us happy and sad at the same time. They are very social creatures, as you can see, and they like to be close to where everyone is but at the same time, where everyone is, isn't always the safest place for them to be. We'll miss having them around us all the time but it will also be nice not having them around us all the time, getting into all sorts of mischief. ;-)


Meet the newest creature to join our farm. Arriving exactly on his or her due date, 21 days after Phil received the incubator for his birthday. We are hoping for at least one more to join him so he isn't so lonely. 


Oops, I spoke too soon. This little fellow arrived the next morning!


Exploring their new home together and learning to eat.



So, lot's of progress on the house, a big clean up accomplished outside and baby chicks! It's hard to beat that! I'm kidding, of course! (but they are cute!) We are so thankful to be here and to be working together. It is not always easy and actually, like this week, it's been rather difficult but we are still thankful! Trials and challenges come and we learn how to deal with them, together. I am so thankful for that. This last push to get the house finished is hard. We are being stretched, our confidence tested. It is hard to find the words to say how you can be so thankful for something that is so challenging to you at the moment. But we are thankful! And our prayer is that we will, soon, finish building this house.

And that we will finish well.



Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the authour and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him, endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

Hebrews 12:1-3

3 comments:

  1. LOVE it!!!!! You have all done such an amazing job....you are almost there! Yippeeeeee!!! From what I've heard (from Esther D.), your new home is MUCH bigger than your current space. I am SO happy for you! I am beginning to feel a little bit like you in the dishwasher department....but, I do hope to one day install another one. :) In the meantime...you are right, the conversations and time together cannot be beat. Hugs to you! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be going from 900 Sq ft to 3200 Sq ft. :-) We are all getting anxious to move!! One day at a time!!

      Delete
  2. Well at least you have a lot of dishwashers in varying stages lol !!!
    Oh the work load !!! I get exhausted just looking at the pics !!!!
    Everything is sooo beautiful !!! And I can't wait for the day you move in !!!!!
    I will be rejoicing with you !!!!

    ReplyDelete