Saturday, May 14, 2016

Spring Cleaning

I don't mind cleaning. Usually. There's a certain satisfaction that comes with getting a job done and being able to see the difference you've made. And lets' face it, a lot of what I do every day involves cleaning in some form or another. If I didn't enjoy it in at least some capacity, it would make for a very long day. But there are some jobs that get put off for a while because you know they aren't going to be fun. Eventually though, it's time to deal with them and regardless of whether you enjoy it or not, you just have to do it. The barn was one such clean up!


A lot of this mess isn't even ours but was already here when we moved here. Hence, why it got left longer than it should have.


Sorting, organizing. What goes in which pile? Garbage here. Recycling there.




Starting to see some progress, finally. But it took the whole day to see it!


Almost done! We just have to deal with this pile of lumber. Most of this pile came from fences on the property that were in various states of disrepair and had to be pulled down. 


Ta Da!!!! Finally done! The barn is still very much in need of repairs but that is a job for another day. In the meantime though, it  feels so much better to have that mess cleared out. At last, we can turn our attention to things we find more enjoyable.


Like these girls. 


They even make the chores fun!


And what could be more fun than to watch lambs frolic on a pile of dirt? 


Maybe watching the geese splash in a freshly filled pool? Sorry, but it just doesn't get old.


Or maybe your idea of fun is fixing up broken machines and riding them around?


Or perhaps hatch some eggs? That must be enjoyable for you if you ask for an incubator for your birthday! (Phil!!!) :-)


Maybe you like to bake special treats to share with others.... 


...or sew a gift for a friend.


I can tell you what's not enjoyable (for me) though...


Our cats are really good at keeping the mouse population down but occasionally they will bring us a special something that does not fall into the category of a traditionally acceptable gift. 


And then, for whatever reason, youngest daughter decides to keep said offering as a pet for the day. I tried to convince her that a dead snake doesn't make the best pet but she would not be persuaded.

Back to more enjoyable things. Like when you show up for an appointment and the lawn maintenance guy across the road looks strangely familiar.


It looks Ben but I just can't be sure. Is it Ben?


Yup, it's Ben!! :-)


Even rain can be enjoyable, especially after it's been so hot and dry.


You just might get to see one of these if the conditions are right. Here's one side...

...and here's the other.


No matter what you find enjoyable or fun, there is usually work to be done first. It makes it easier to relax and enjoy it though knowing the work is done. Is the work ever really done? Well, no but it is wise to take time to enjoy the things that make you happy. Whether it's racing around on a quad, sitting quietly watching the animals enjoy their environment or creating things to share with others, it's good to unwind, relax and have some down time. The work and the rest. The rain and the rainbow.  Balanced and in the proper order, one thing is for sure...

They're all good!


 And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.

Genesis 9:12-16

No comments:

Post a Comment