Something funny happened after Hannah's cello lesson last week. We were running errands before we went home and I got a text from my sister who lives one province over. Nothing too different there, that happens just about every day. She invited us to come for a visit. I laughed and said there was no way that it could ever happen as much as I would have liked it to. There were too many reasons to list why it would never work. I am sure she didn't think it was possible either but I am glad she asked. As I was driving home, I started toying with the idea. Surely, it wasn't possible. Or was it? The guys were taking a course over the weekend so we wouldn't be doing any work on the house. Hmmmm..... The mountains can be unpredictable this time of year but after I checked the website, the roads looked ok. That is, if we left quickly. As in, the next morning. I could never pull that off. Or could I? I talked to Phil and after we looked at the calendar and realized that we would only need to shuffle a couple of things around, we decided that I should go. That gave me a grand total of 4 hours to get ready before we went to bed that night. We left early the next morning. The roads were amazing and we had the BEST time visiting with family and friends. I am so glad there is still room for spontaneous road trips in our lives.
(Official disclaimer: I did NOT take any pictures while I was driving. Thank you to Hannah for being our photographer on this trip. Sorry for any dirt on the windshield.)
The mountains are breathtaking. The pictures do not do them justice. Seriously. If you've never driven this route, you must go. On a beautiful day, of course.
You come out of the mountains and the land is flat for as far as you can see. Welcome to the prairies . (what is that ground covering that is not snow? Is it... grass? I haven't seen grass at our house for a long time.)
Nothing says welcome to Alberta, well other than....
...than cheap gas. It was actually $.67/litre just before we arrived. At these prices, we almost couldn't justify NOT going.
...than cheap gas. It was actually $.67/litre just before we arrived. At these prices, we almost couldn't justify NOT going.
Meeting this little man, my newest nephew, was totally worth all the driving.
A gorgeous prairie sunset.
From the rising of the sun to its setting, the name of the Lord is to be praised.
Psalms 113:3












Yaaay!!!! SO happy for you that you were able to go. Last minute travel is exhilarating....wouldn't you agree? Your (Hannah's) photos are gorgeous. And, yes...the mountains are truly breathtaking. The prairies have their own beauty as well. XOXO
ReplyDeleteThank you! So glad that you got to go some place warm. Yay for mid winter trips!! And sometimes, yes, less planning is better. :-)
Delete