Friday, November 14, 2014

Balancing Priorities

Things are coming along.  A little slower during the week because everyone works but progress is being made.  It's a funny thing having a big project on the go because you realize quickly that life doesn't get put on hold just so you can focus on your project.  Life goes on all around you.  We aren't waiting for life to happen.  This is life.  Sometimes, you a have a full day to concentrate on one thing and other times you have to multitask. School needs to be taught, there is laundry to do, meals to be made, children to be trained up in the way they should go.  Just regular, every day, life.  This looks different to everyone, of course.  In our house, sometimes it looks like this.....



Meet Merry, our cat.  Lydia just got a new tea set for her birthday.  They did ask if they could put milk in it.  We were having tuna for lunch.  Somehow though, I missed the part about whether they could serve it all to the cat. They were very pleased with their hostessing skills.  I didn't hear the cat complain.

 Just recently, I came in the house to find this on the wall.


I had my suspicions who the budding Picasso might be but I had to ask anyway. 

 "Who drew on the wall in the hallway?"


Yup, pretty much as I suspected. At least she's honest.  :-)  Wait, there's more?


Years ago, I would have had her washing that off with a bucket and rag but truthfully, I like it.  It means that children live here.  Am I getting soft as I age? I like to think of it more as seeing the big picture.  Am I condoning tagging in our hallways? No, we had the talk. She knows we only draw on paper.  What it means is that if I am going to expect perfection from her, then Someone else could expect it from me.  What a scary thought.  So I continue to learn to parent with grace and mercy.  So much has been shown to me, how can I not pass that on?  Especially to my children. Does this mean that I always manage to do that? Ask my children. ;-) They'll be honest. 

What it also means is that one day children won't live here anymore and there will be no evidence of them here. That will be sad.  There is always the hope of Grandchildren but I digress. No, I'm not in a hurry to wash these drawings off the walls.  They remind me of a loving Father who loves me and has mercy on me when I stray off the path too.  It is also a reminder that children live here and that is a good thing.


Lo, children are an heritage of Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.  Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

Psalm 127:3-5

4 comments:

  1. Truly...a wonderful blessing! Noooo....we don't want the children to leave!!! But, you are right...the babies...they will return with more babies. Yippee! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I CANNOT wait to be a Grandma!! As I get older and my hair gets more grey, the children tell me I'm starting to look more like a Grandma. Ah, music to my ears!

      Delete
  2. Haha! Hi Lydia :) It's okay Esther, we can get soft together, hehe. My bigs always complain that I'm way easier on the little ones. In some ways I am. I say "Oh well" a whole lot more these days. But I forgave a lot of things the big kids did too. I still have a few examples to show them, like the skewer holes in Micah's weight bench, scribbles on the end table, and engraving in the sewing table LOL.

    I'm really looking forward to grandchildren. Actually, I'm almost as excited about having kids-in-law. I love having a big family :)

    Oh, and you do NOT look like a grandma!! Unless I look like a grandma too, because I'm pretty sure I have more grey hair than you :) Of course kids have a funny perspective on these sorts of things. I was just told tonight by Elizabeth that Hannah would still be young when I was old and dead. I was 19 when I had Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Elizabeth!! You'll have to write that down to remind her later. And what's with the engraving and scribbling on the furniture? My older kids did that way more than the younger ones.

      Yes, I can't wait for my children to have spouses. We pray for them regularly and we actually give them names too so we get across that we are praying for real people and not just a concept, if that makes sense and doesn't make us look more weird than I already make us look in this blog. Haha

      Delete